It was dedicated to Saint Eugenios, the saviour and the protector of Trabzon. It is not known when the church was ﬁrst built. According to researchers, the ﬁrst construction was a basilica. There is also an inscription dating from 1291.
The present building was probably built with a cruciform plan in the 14th century. Without a narthex, the building has three naves and three apses today.
Eagle and dove reliefs (excluding the middle apse), fresco traces and remains of ground mosaics are observed in this building which was converted into a mosque aﬅer the conquest of Trabzon. It was expanded with a minaret and two entrances one to the western side and other to the large apse. Its prayer niche is built of stone and reﬂects Baroque style whereas its pulpit is wooden and decorated simply. Screened and elevated loge of the mosque displays superior wood work. Besides these additions, there are also very precious hand drawn ornamentations within the mosque. Writings and embroideries in other parts of the mosque that are in use were all renewed.