İSKENDERPASHA MOSQUE
Inscription over the entrance gate of the mosque dates back to 1529 (936 in Islamic Calendar). There is also one more inscription informing the restoration in 1882 which gave the mosque its present appearance. The originality of the mosque which underwent many repairs and was enlarged with additions at various times was damaged. The medrese standing in the courtyard was ruined, and the graveyard to the west was removed, leaving only the grave of İskender Pasha there.
YENİCUMA MOSQUE
It was dedicated to Saint Eugenios, the saviour and the protector of Trabzon. It is not known when the church was first built. According to researchers, the first construction was a basilica.
GULBAHARHATUN MOSQUE AND MAUSOLEUM
In the memory of Gülbahar Hatun, mother of Sultan Selim the Grim, it was constructed within a külliye near the Zağnos Bridge on the west of Orta Hisar. Only a mosque and a tomb survived to the present, all other structures within the complex such as soup kitchen, medrese, public bath and school were all ruined. Historic records reveal that the complex was put up in 1514 aſter the death of Gülbahar Hatun.
AHİ EVREN DEDE MOSQUE AND MAUSOLEUM
The construction date of Ahi Evren Dede Mosque, which is located in Boztepe Neighbourhood overlooking Trabzon, is not known.
ERDOĞDU BEY MOSQUE
Built by Erdoğdu Bey, the governor of Trabzon in 1577, the mosque stands in the neighbourhood named as Erdoğdu Bey. It had undergone a number of restorations which damaged its originality on a large scale. Screened and elevated loges at the entrance of the last public section and the main prayer hall are wooden, and connected with each other from the top. Its prayer niche is vaulted in stalactite work, and each cusp is decorated with a rosette.
ORTAHİSAR MOSQUE
The structure, which is formerly called as the Golden headed Virgin Mary Church, is assumed to have been built with a basilica plan within a monastery.
Explore Trabzon © 2017. | . | . | . | .